January 06, 2010

Day 6 (Frittata... Fritatta...)

So after 3 hellish days of preparing taxes to be filed for the shop (which I hate… no LOATH doing) I’m back… lol I didn’t falter in the face of an open face hot turkey sandwiches, with mashed taters, nor bow down to the temptation of the Taco Johns crunchy chicken and potatoes burrito.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTT, I did however with the help of my awesome mother-in-law discover the bestest breakfast in all of creation… That’s right I said bestest… What could the breakfast of the gods be your ask???
Frittata
What is a frittata your ask? It’s quite elementary my dear Watson. A Frittata is kind of like a quiche… only mucho bettero!!! Its super simple to make, will last you for breakfast for days, and very low carb friendly! Here is your laundry list:

1 bunch of Asparagus chopped
1 bunch of Green Onions (or one red onion) chopped
1 Bell pepper (I prefer red cause it looks pretty once cooked) chopped
Meat of your choice. (I used left over ham, but your could use anything)
¾ - 1 cup of a Cheese of your choice
Half a stick of Butter
18 eggs (I know it seems like a lot but trust me)
¼ - ½ Cup of heavy cream

Pre-Heat oven to 350. Spray 11x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray. Chop up all your veggies and meat and put in a skillet with the butter on medium. Stir occasionally and put a lid on and simmer until the asparagus and other veggies become tender. Pour ingredients into prepared pan. In a large bowl Wisk eggs, cream, and salt and pepper to your likening; then pour over the meat and veggies in the pan. Put in center rack in your oven and bake about 20-40 min, depending on your oven and ingredients.
Once brown, use a knife to cut the center to make sure it’s done all the way thru. Then set on wire rack for about an hour to cool. (You can at this point eat it, or cover it and store in your fridge for up to a week)
***** Note: you can use really any kind of veggies or meat combination you prefer and really any kind of baking dish. Just make sure it’s sprayed with Pam and your Frittata is brown on top, not completely mind you, just a nice golden brown around the edges.

AAAAAAAAAAANNNNNYYYWHO!! Hope you enjoy. It may sound like a lot of work, but I guarantee it is one of the best breakfasts you will eat while on Atkins.

TTFN
Stina

No comments: